The Wandering Tops

The Wandering Tops

27 December, 2013

Nullarbor crossing

We set off on Boxing day for the trip across the Nullarbor to SA and Adelaide.  After the Christmas day celebrations it was a slow start but we did eventually get going around 11.00 am.  Our after fuelling up and stocking up with food at Mundaring we travelled approx. 300km to Westonia.  Westonia is a refurbished mining town with the main street shop fronts being refurbished and "shop sculptures" placed throughout the town.  Westonia has a very modern and clean camp site and at $15 a night including power is a must stay, especially as when we arrived it was 43 degrees so the air conditioner was needed to cool the van.

Shop sculptures

Main street

The pub
The next morning we were on the road by 7.10am, I know this time exactly as Hels reminded me for the next hour until her eye lids conceded and I could enjoy the serenity of an early morning start.  I also promised that when we made it to SA I would not expect such an early start time .... 2 1/2 hour time difference.  For the day we travelled 666km the greatest distance travelled in one day with the van to date and camped at Woorlba Homestead Rest Area about 20km on the western side of the 90 mile straight.

Everyone needs to stop and take a piccie of the 90 mile straight sign.
I couldn't help myself and the next morning was up and about winding up the van stabilisers in readiness for another early start .... no point sitting around swatting flies.  This time we were on the road at 6.52am this time was again mentioned to me several times in the first hour or so and when referred to the diary to confirmation the time has been written in BOLD over 3 lines, I think a point is being made!!  Just before Eucla we were pulled over by the local police road block doing a licence check. After crossing the WA/SA border we camped 10km into SA after travelling 496km for the day.
I decided to play on hole on the Nullarbor golf course @ Cocklebiddy

One of my finest golf shots, par 3 holed in one, excellent choice of club!!!
Now as promised to Hels the next mornings start was much later and was on the road at 7.52am, how good was this of me to let Hels sleep in ;o) even though sunrise was after 6am not 4.30am as in WA. We stopped at a couple of lookouts which over looked the Great Australian Bight, checked out the Head of the Bight but didn't go whale watching.  We decided to continue on after passing through Ceduna and stayed at another great camp at Minnipa, Home of the Concrete Crappa.

The Great Australian Bight

Couldn't help but take a piccie

The sign is self explanatory.
From Minnipa continued via Port Augusta to Auburn in the Clare Valley a camp spot we had stayed at back in June.  For the last day (NYE) of our west to east crossing we travelled to Younghusband on the Murray River to celebrate New Years with my sister and family.

No comments: