The Wandering Tops

The Wandering Tops

10 May, 2016

Staying around GC till May

Hels, back in hospital with a infection, I had 5 days rest!!
With the Engagement excitement behind us we settled into Burleigh Beach Caravan Park for a bit of a rest however Helen noticed a discharge from her arm (most unusual as their was no surgery), so we drove to Robina Hospital.  From arrival time to being attended was only minutes and from then all hell broke loose as they took off the immobilizer and what was left of the webbing leaving a very black looking swollen arm.  Pressure sores had formed under the webbing and had busted open causing a very serious infection. Additionally the webbing had been pulled too tight cutting off circulation to her arm! One hole in her under arm was 1cm deep.  The smell also had one orthopedic specialist gagging and another nurse spraying Glen 20 around Helen!!  Luckily the person attending Helen had specialized in wound caring and did a fantastic job cleaning up the arm and packing the wounds.  Helen did not realise how close she came to a severe blood infection and was surprised when they admitted her to a ward where she remained for 5 days pumping her full of antibiotics.  The infection became priority so no physio could be started until infection had cleared up which set Helen back quite a few weeks.

After her discharge from Hospital we drove to our arranged housesit at Burleigh Waters where we looked after Gael & Tim's lovely home and cared for their Border Collie, Lady, for 2 weeks.  This beautiful dog looked exactly like our beloved dog Brodie who we had for 15 years (although she was much slimmer!).  The likeness was incredible and even caught ourselves calling her Brodie sometimes!! She was a well trained dog and I got plenty of exercise walking her twice a day.

Lady - a beautiful dog in looks and nature

Our weeks consisted of visits to the outpatients for x-rays & wound dressing then once cleared up, physio commenced.  The Doctors at Robina Hospital would not let us continue our travelling until all infection was gone - seemed to think living in a Caravan was a bit primitive!!! Also this set back meant Helen still had to sleep sitting up which went on for another 3 months!

Tallebudgera Creek

"The girls" @ Miami Beach on the Gold Coast

After our housesit @ Burleigh Waters we stayed in Tallebudgera Caravan Park for a couple of weeks before heading back to Reedy Creek to housesit again for Brad & Kim for 2 weeks including the Easter Break.  Once again we were close to Todd and Tenelle and thoroughly enjoyed their visits, particularly knowing at the end of March they were leaving Australia for Canada where they intend working and travelling for at least a year or two!  This also prompted another visit from Briony so we were together again for Easter celebrations.

On the morning of 30th March took Todd and Tenelle to the Brisbane Airport for commencement of their adventure then in the afternoon took Briony to Gold Coast Airport for her flight back to NZ. Very emotional day saying Goodbye to the kids!

Todd & Tenelle on their way to Canada

Briony on her way to NZ

After completing the housesit travelled back to Kooralbyn where we stayed until end of April having a couple of visits to Outpatients and Physio. Once we had a couple of weeks between appointments we drove up to Hervey Bay to visit Stephen & Annette for a week knowing Stephen's condition was not good.  Departing Hervey Bay we drove to Woodforde where we stayed at the Showgrounds for a couple of days - enjoyed exploring the area.  Had a great catch up with friends John & Heather from Bribie Island at the Woodforde Pub.  Travelled back to Tallebudgera Caravan Park to have final Doctors appointments

Back on the road again - morning tea stop @ Goondiwindi Reserve

FINALLY 4 months after Helen's accident we were given the all clear to travel as infection had cleared up and she had a series of physio exercises to help gain movement,  By this time we were biting at the bit to get on the road again.

No comments: