The Wandering Tops

The Wandering Tops

17 January, 2015

Northern NSW

After leaving Lightning Ridge we headed to Queensland on the Castlereagh Highway, calling into a deserted town known as Angeldoon with the only sign of life were kangaroos sitting under the old timber church, taking cover from the heat.

Stopped at Hebel in time for morning tea, so headed straight to the General Store (pub was closed at this time) for our coffee.  Hebel was first known as Kelly's Point - Dan Kelly & Steve Hart, members of the infamous Ned Kelly gang, are said to have lived here in  secret. The town name was changed to Hebel in 1880s - some suggest it was named after a German settler Weiner Von Hebel while others suggest it comes from an Aboriginal word meaning "hot place". The General Store has kept much of its original 1890s dancehall character including the undulated timber floor.  We had heard that the home made pies were to die for so just had to try and were not disappointed.  A few locals had gathered at the Store and as soon as the Pub opened they got into their vehicles and drove 20 metres across the road to the Pub!!!  Seemed too good an opportunity to miss so joined them for a nice cold "bevie". The hotel was opened in 1894 as a Cobb & Co changing station and was originally called the Commercial Hotel. The inside of the Pub is decked out in recycled furniture made from reclaimed bush finds.

Hebel Pub prior to opening

Having a nice cold drink and keeping cool on a rather hot day

Hebel General Store - best home made pies EVER!

Travelled onto St George staying in a Caravan Park in order to run the air conditioning and get some relief from the hot, humid weather. From St George we headed east with first stop being Nindigully Pub established in 1864 and is the longest continually licensed pub in Queensland. You can have a meal at the pub, they challenge you to partake in the "roadtrain" burger a whopper 5 kg to 25 kg burger big enough to feed you and 10 mates.  Unfortunately it was closed when we drove up - will have to call back again as would love to look inside the old pub and have a beer and burger ;).

From the Pub we travelled on the Barwon Highway through Bungunya and Toobeah to Goondiwindi where we stayed the night.  From here we were able to travel to Toowoomba and catch up with Todd who was about to start his 2 week work roster.  While staying in the park @ Toowoomba happened to meet up with Harley and Fay whom we had known from Adelaide - so amazing who you meet up with when travelling!  Had to pick up a hydraulic jack from north Brisbane so took the opportunity to do a day drive through Kilcoy, Woodforde and back around Wivenhoe Dam.  Was a pretty drive but was a long day of travelling which included driving through a storm therefore not a good day for photos.

From Toowoomba we headed back into NSW to escape the school holiday period.

A favorite camp site in the Northern Rivers, NSW

After enjoying a wonderful two weeks hiding in the Northern Rivers, we headed up to Burleigh Heads to catch up with Todd and Tenelle.  Had a fantastic catch up - even played Barefoot Bowls @ Burleigh Bowls Club with a group of their friends.  The old grey foxes were winners on the day!!

Sizing up the length & taking the breeze into consideration!!

Winners are grinners!
It would not be a week with Todd if I wasn't encouraged to go out stand up paddle boarding especially after he had just bought a new board and wanted to try it out.  At least this time we went out to the River which was a bit more fitting for my skills unlike last time when he had me out the back of the surf!!

After a great week with Todd and Tenelle we headed south to Brunswick Heads.

No comments: